Cristiano Ronaldo offers to pay for damage to home after bodyguard crashed £1.7m Bugatti Veyron into property
CRISTIANO Ronaldo has offered to pay for damage to the home hit by his £1.7million Bugatti Veyron.
A bodyguard was thought to have been driving in Majorca, where the Manchester United star, 37, is holidaying.
He is believed to have seen the smash while with his family in a car following behind.
The house owner visited Ronaldo’s rented mansion and was promised compensation by a member of staff.
On Tuesday Cronica Balear claimed the unnamed bodyguard got out of the car to continue his journey and left other staff employed by the Manchester United striker at the scene to receive the police.
It was not immediately made clear where the Portugal international could have been heading.
But he has been pictured enjoying days out with his family on his £5.5m Azimut Grande superyacht, which is moored in Port Adriano in the south-west of Majorca.
The dad-of five is believed to be renting a luxury villa near the scene of Monday morning’s accident on a minor road near Joan March Hospital in the municipality of Bunyola.
Ronaldo’s damaged Bugatti was later taken away on a tow-truck covered in a blue tarpaulin.
Cronica Balear said security staff left to look after the car while they waited for the police to arrive “had done everything possible to make sure curious locals who recognised the Bugatti as Cristiano’s tried to take photos.”
The identity of the person at the wheel has not yet been revealed, but it is well-known Ronaldo and his family are protected in Cheshire by Portuguese twins who served as soldiers with an elite special forces unit in Afghanistan.
The strongmen have been named as Sergio and Jorge Ramalheiro, who went on to become part of a Portuguese close protection unit tasked with watching over the likes of politicians and judges after serving.
Spanish police confirmed on Monday afternoon they had no information to suggest Cristiano had been in the car at the time.
One well-placed source said: “The car smashed into a wall but there was only material damage with no-one injured and the driver accepted full responsibility for what happened.
“The information about who was behind the wheel and what occurred is registered on a police database and is there for a court or officers to access if any further investigations need to be conducted.
“But it is more a case of the information needing to be registered so the owner of the property that was damaged can put in a compensation claim and use the police report as a back-up in case there is any dispute down the line about how the damage was done.”
Another insider added: “The accident happened on a minor road near Joan March Hospital.
“The car appears to have come off the road and has hit a wall which forms part of the protection to a house with a gas canister deposit behind it.
“An employee of Cristiano’s was apparently driving at the time and not the footballer himself.
“Cristiano was not at the scene when officers arrived and nor was the person who officers were told had been driving the car at the time of the accident.”