Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has sensationally labelled Cristiano Ronaldo’s behaviour ‘unacceptable’ after the Portuguese superstar left Sunday’s friendly early.
United had publicly insisted that they had no issues with the forward leaving Old Trafford before the end of their 1-1 friendly against Rayo Vallecano.
The wantaway Portuguese star had played the first 45 minutes of the game but was the only player to be substituted off by manager Erik ten Hag at half-time.
It comes amid uncertainty over his Old Trafford future with Ronaldo wanting out of the club as United have no Champions League football this season.
The 37-year-old wasn’t the only player to make an early departure on Sunday and Ten Hag isn’t impressed.
Speaking about the incident, Ten Hag told AD: ‘I certainly don’t condone this. This is unacceptable. For everyone. We are a team and you have to stay until the end.’
Ronaldo was replaced at the break by Amad Diallo, who gave United the lead with a close-range rebound in the 48th minute.
But Rayo Vallecano drew level through Alvaro Garcia Rivera’s finish nine minutes later.
Ronaldo’s future has been one of the big stories of the summer with the 37-year-old making it clear he wants to leave to pursue Champions League football.
United have so far maintained that he is not for sale, the former Real Madrid man still having one year remaining on his contract.
It is understood the forward’s agent has informed United of an offer and wants the Red Devils to name their price.
Meanwhile, former Manchester United coach Chris Armas has urged Ten Hag to take a hands-on approach to ensure Ronaldo remains at Old Trafford.
Armas served as assistant to Ralf Rangnick during the German’s beleaguered six-month spell as interim manager last season.
The American said: ‘He’s a big part of the team and he’s still a guy that produced so it would be my job to figure out how to get all that talent and all that fire and experience of winning and challenge him as much as I could.