Todd Boehly to be removed as Chelsea chairman as date named for major change behind the scenes


Todd Boehly is set to be removed as the Chelsea chairman in 2027, according to a fresh report.

Chelsea have endured a dismal couple of seasons under the ownership of Boehly and Clearlake Capital. On the pitch the Blues are currently 11th in the Premier League and last month lost the Carabao Cup final to a depleted and youthful Liverpool side.

Moreover, away from the pitch they’ve spent in the region of £1billion on player transfers in the last two years and have made a pre-tax loss of £90.1million in the past 12 months to June 30.

And according to Sports Mail, the club’s American co-owners have an agreement to pass the chairmanship between themselves every five years and plan to do just that at the end of the 2026-27 season.

Under the terms of the group’s 2022 takeover, Boehly is thought to have ‘gone first’ despite holding a minority stake.

Private equity firm Clearlake Capital, manager by fellow owners Behdad Eghbali and Jose Feliciano, is said to have a 61.5 percent share in the Blues, while Boehly has an equal split of the remaining 38.5 percent with Hansjorg Wyss and Mark Walter.

Eghbali or Feliciano may choose to inherit the chairmanship from Boehly in 2027, or they may identify a third party. While no decision has been made yet on the chairmanship, the Mail report alleges that Boehly will be removed from the post.

Todd Boehly has endured a tumultuous spell as Chelsea chairman (Getty)

He would have the option to return in 2032 however, should he wish to do so and retain his stake at Stamford Bridge.

The decision to opt for Boehly as the club’s first chairman was routed in the terms of the 2022 sale agreement, which stated the 50-year-old’s group was liable to pay any first losses in the event of a realisation or a sale.

Mail Sport has claimed that Boehly’s group hold what is termed ‘common stock’ while Clearlake have ‘preferred stock’ which is more protected against any financial downside.

Chelsea have repeatedly denied accusations of a breakdown in the relationship between Boehly and Clearlake. The parties reportedly have a professional working relationship and are in regular contact while a signature from both Eghbali and Boehly is needed on major decisions.

Featured Image Credit: Getty